The people that want to go to Canada frequently ask how to become a Canadian citizen? As we know, Canada is a country filled with many opportunities. Whether you are coming to work, visit, or study, there are many ways to reach immigration goals. In many cases, foreigners decide to take the permanent resident certificate from the government to live there. They need a guide to apply for citizenship and other related procedures. This article will discuss how to get Canadian citizenship and the steps involved in becoming a permanent citizen of Canada.
Moreover, if you are moving to Canada, you must also plan your trip there to enjoy your first visit.
- 1 How To Apply For Canadian Citizenship?
- 2 Eligibility Criteria For Canadian Citizenship
- 3 Ineligibility Criteria For Canadian Citizenship
- 4 What Are The Steps To Becoming A Canadian Citizen?
- 5 Final Verdict – How To Become A Canadian Citizen
- 6 FAQs
How To Apply For Canadian Citizenship?
You should know how you can apply for citizenship. The following things are worth considering if you are applying for citizenship.
1- Get An Application Package
You should buy the application package that includes the instruction guide and all forms needed for this application. Also, carefully read the instruction guide and attach all the documents according to the guide.
2- Pay The Application Fees
After that, pay the application fees. The fee may vary according to the applicant’s age. The price includes the processing fee and the right of citizenship fee.
3- Submit Your Application
You should be eligible for the criteria of citizenship. If you are not according to the requirements, it will cancel the application fee.
Eligibility Criteria For Canadian Citizenship
Following are the details of the eligibility criteria for Canadian citizenship. You must meet all the conditions of eligibility criteria.
- Applicants should have Canadian permanent resident status, and they have lived in Canada for three years or 1095 days out of the last five years before applying. The case of children less than eighteen years old also have permanent resident status, but they don’t satisfy the three-year requirements.
- Applicants must be fluent in Canada’s official languages, French and English. They should be well in Society. People between 18-54 must give proof of language skills.
- There should be no criminal history of applicants. They should be aware of citizens’ responsibilities and rights and have basic knowledge about Canada’s history, political system, and geography.
- Formal application must be submitted to the IRCC and pay the application fee and the right of citizenship fee.
Ineligibility Criteria For Canadian Citizenship
You can be ineligible for citizenship in Canada if you have the following of these things. Following are the ineligibility criteria for Canadian citizenship.
Citizenship will not be given to those:
- Don’t meet minimum required residency stay days in Canada.
- Those who are not able to speak French or English.
- One who could not pass the interview or test for citizenship.
- That cannot provide proof of residency documents.
Much other criminality and legal issues can make you ineligible for permanent Canadian citizenship. If you have any of the following faults, you cannot get citizenship.
- You have had your citizenship taken away within the past five years
- No criminal offense in the last three years.
- If you are in Prison on probation or parole.
- Under Canada’s removal order, you are not eligible for Canadian citizenship.
- If you are under investigation for a crime against humanity.
What Are The Steps To Becoming A Canadian Citizen?
If you meet all the requirements listed above, then congratulations, you can apply for Canadian citizenship. When you are ready for the application, you should follow the four general steps. After that, you will get Canadian citizenship.
1- Obtain An Appropriate Citizenship Application Form
If your age is more than 18 years, you will need to fill out the application form for adult citizenship. You can get this form online, and this form comes with different requirements that depend upon your case.
If you are applying for an individual whose age is less than 18 years, you should use a different application. This is the Application for Canadian citizenship for Minors. One separate application for each child must be filled out.
2- Complete Application Package And Submit
There are multiple ways to complete the application package, like manually filling out the form on paper. You can also print out forms and attach the required documents, or you can also do it online if eligible. You can check the IRCC website to check the online completion of your application.
After completing your online application, you will have to submit the required application along with the photographs and other required documents. This may include the Fresh proficiency or English proficiency certificate. You will have to show all these documents at the time of the interview and citizenship test. Moreover, you can apply for IRRC by mail or submit it online. Also, you need to find the address to send the application package.
3- Take A Citizenship Test Or Interview
If you are 18 plus, you will have to attend the interview or test. This case is only when you are meeting the eligibility criteria for citizenship. The interview will ensure that you have a basic understanding of the Government of Canada, citizenship privileges, responsibilities of citizens, industry, geography, history, and voting procedure. In this interview, your Language proficiency will also be tested.
4- Take The Oath At Citizenship Ceremony
Once you meet all the requirements to become a citizen of Canada, you will receive the notice of when and where you will come to the citizenship ceremony. At the citizenship ceremony, you need to take the oath of citizenship and receive Canada’s citizenship certificate.
Final Verdict – How To Become A Canadian Citizen
Canada is a land of many opportunities that is why many people want to go there. If you also want to go to Canada and your ultimate goal is to get Canadian citizenship, you should know the eligibility criteria. If you meet all the requirements, apply for citizenship and pay both fees. After doing all four steps, you will get the citizenship certificate of Canada at the time of the oath-taking ceremony. Moreover, after getting Canadian citizenship, you will find more job opportunities than before. Even if you can become eligible to be a Canadian citizen by getting the best jobs there. For this purpose, check this job search site, US Enro Jobs.
What are the basic requirements to become a Canadian citizen?
The requirements for Canadian citizenship are as follows:
- A legal permanent resident of Canada
- Living in Canada for at least three years out of the last five years.
- You must be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days out of 365 days.
- knowledge of English or French.
- You must pass a citizenship test.
How long does the process of Canadian citizenship typically take?
It typically takes about a year to process a citizenship application. Of course, the time it takes to process an application can vary depending on the individual case. In general, there are three steps in the Canadian citizenship process: (1) applying, (2) attending an interview, and (3) taking the oath of citizenship. The entire procedure usually takes about one year from start to finish.
What is the cost of applying for Canadian citizenship?
The cost of applying for Canadian citizenship is the $CAN Citizenship processing fee. This fee is payable when you submit your completed application. You may also have to pay additional fees for photocopying and certification of documents, medical examination, police certificate, transcription services, and courier services if required.
I hope you enjoy our article, do check more of our amazing articles.